Thanks to you, we got a lot of bike-friendly councillors elected; now it’s time to make sure the funding comes through!
This Monday evening, January 21 at 7:00 p.m., we’re asking everyone to come to a public input meeting at City Hall to show your support for the proposed cycling infrastructure projects in the 2019 budget for the City of Kitchener. We don’t want to risk these projects getting cut from the final version!
All you have to do is show up
Representatives from CycleWR and TriTAG are presenting, but it would be great to have a big crowd in the viewing gallery. If you’ve got a bike helmet, bring it along for councillors to see! Scroll down for more info about the budget and where to go on Monday.
If you’re an extra-eager beaver, you can also register to delegate as an individual.
Not a Kitchener resident?
You can still show up on Monday to show your support for these projects!
And stay tuned for another email next week about budget input for Waterloo, Cambridge, and the townships—and put February 6 in your calendar for a Region of Waterloo public input session!
Save the date: Region of Waterloo, February 6
On February 6, we’ll need your help showing the Region of Waterloo how much support there is for cycling infrastructure! We’ll send details next week!
Where to go on Monday night
Kitchener City Hall is at 200 King Street West. It’s a block away from the Charles Street Bus Terminal, and there’s bike parking in the parking garage off Young Street. Council Chambers are up the stairs to the left of the main King Street entrance.
Projects in the proposed budget:
- protected bike lanes and complete street treatments for Queen’s Boulevard, Belmont Avenue, and Water Street
- a ‘Dutch roundabout’ with cycling facilities at Huron and Strasburg
- replacing the rickety bridge on the Iron Horse Trail in Victoria Park
- continued improvements to the Iron Horse Trail, including widening, lighting, and amenities like signage and benches
- winter maintenance for bike lanes
- resident-led traffic calming
Come out Monday night to help make sure these projects happen!